support ended April 1, 2011. The program will remain available, but
without maintenance or enhancements, and no one will be available to answer
Date: December 23, 2009
- Some minor bug fixes and updates for
compatibility with Windows 7.
Date: October 21, 2008
- Relocated help button from title bar to ensure
compatibility with Vista.
- Some minor bug fixes and updates for
compatibility with 64-bit versions of Vista.
Date: January 20, 2008
- Repackaged as a CalibanMailerSetup-2.30.msi
download file to
ensure compatibility with Windows Vista. (Administrator privileges
are required to install this product.)
- Updated for compatibility with Microsoft® Visual C++ 2008.
Date: March 7, 2007
- Added security updates that require Windows 2000
Professional, Windows XP or Vista. Older versions of Windows are no
longer supported by Caliban Mailer.
- Fixed problem sending certain letter templates
(usually HTML) to certain email servers that resulted in a "protocol
error" or a "the connection with the server was lost or could not be
established" error. (This problem is sometimes referred to as
- Converted the Caliban Mailer help system to HTML
help from the older "Windows help" format, thus conforming to the
new Vista standard.
Date: January 11, 2006
- Repackaged as a considerably smaller download,
while keeping all features.
- Improved detection of improperly formatted email
- Updated for compatibility with Microsoft® Visual C++ 2005.
Date: May 11, 2005
- Minor updates to Subscription Manager to better
detect email undeliverable messages.
Date: December 10, 2004
- Fixed problem in Subscription Manager where the changed logon password
was not being saved.
- Improved email address verification when
creating, editing and copying email addresses.
- Email addresses containing a "|" character are
now shown properly in the Addresses tab.
- Fixed problem where server ports and timeout
changes were not being saved.
- Better error handling when Subscription Manager
is prematurely disconnected from email server.
- Some minor updates to ensure compatibility with Windows XP
Date: June 21, 2004
- Minor enhancements, concentrating on core
- Removed the "Binhex" email encoding option
because of compatibility problems.
Date: November 7, 2003
- A number of updates to the Subscription Manager
- Improved keyword matching,
including the ability to match phrases such as, "Mail system error".
- Proper display of encoded subject text,
according to RFC2047.
- Improved handling of the "Cancel"
button to avoid system errors while messages are downloading.
- Improved download progress display.
- Fixed problem where invalid recipient address could cancel
- Minor changes to email headers for better
compliance with RFC2822.
- Other minor enhancements to the product.
Date: May 14, 2003
- No longer crashes if "Check for update"
cannot connect to server.
- Created using Microsoft® Visual C++ .NET 2003.
Date: April 1, 2003
- This new version provides keyword substitutions for HTML messages.
- Improved handling of large (over 1MB) attachment
Date: February 19, 2003
- This new version introduces the choice of HTML or
plain text for your Letter Templates.
- Improved Subscription Manager allowing
customizable keyword selection and individual notification message
- Stronger password security under Windows XP.
- A new mailing tracking option to complement the
- Assorted minor user interface changes.
- This is the first version of Caliban Mailer to be
using Microsoft® Visual C++ .NET.
- This new release uses the standard Microsoft
Windows installer for software installation.
- Click here if
you plan to use this version with Windows 95/98.
Date: December 6, 2001
- Added a "Check for Update" button to
the About box.
- Recipient email addresses and names can now be up
to 255 characters long.
- Better handling of email addresses without names.
- Better appearance with WinXP themes.
Date: October 11, 2001
- Number of characters allowed for the mail server
entries has been increased to 255.
- "Reply to" option now working properly.
- Fixed problem where read-only attachment files
were not being delivered.
Date: October 2, 2001
- Corrected problem that was occurring on
some Win2000 systems the first time the Outbox tab was selected.
- Corrected database warning when deleting all
addresses or all letter templates.
- Now making use of the current release of the
Microsoft DAO/Jet database engine, DAO 3.6. This
version is used in Microsoft Office 2000 and XP. It also means
that the minimal install contains everything that is required for use on
WinME, Win2000 and WinXP systems.
Date: September 13, 2001
- Fixed problem where some servers were rejecting
recipient names containing certain punctuation.
- Corrected shortcut key problems.
Date: September 7, 2001
- Revamped user interface for the
presentation of lists and for the creation of mailings.
- Changes to the way email addresses are imported
from text files. Check the Help file for details.
- Updates for compatibility with Windows XP.
- The database file distributed with this version
is password protected to prevent unauthorized changes to the
database file will now be installed to the Windows ‘application
data’ folder, as per Microsoft’s specification.
Date: April 26, 2001
- Starting with this version, Caliban Mailer will no
longer show ads, as Conducent Inc. has closed it's business
operations. Accordingly, Caliban Mailer
longer operate in sponsored mode, and must be registered after
the trial period.
- Added Options button to Letter Template dialog.
This allows the setting of message options, including priority and
read receipt requests.
Date: March 20, 2001
- Added MIME Email encoding options: Base64 and Quoted-printable.
Also added the older but still useful Uuencode and BinHex encoding
for attachments. Selections can be made in the Email section of the Options tab.
- All text file attachments in MIME messages will
be encoded as
"quoted-printable". This avoids the problems some servers and
email clients may experience with lines longer than 76 characters within
- Messages with attachments now display properly in Eudora.
- Added message delivery progress indicator to
Date: March 14, 2001
- Now able to send messages via "Bcc"
addressing, as well as the classic "To" method. This
choice can be made in the Email section of the Options tab. Bcc
addressing can reduce connection time, and places the onus on the
server to deliver the messages to the intended recipients.
- A one-button way to delete the Caliban Mailer log
file has been added to the Troubleshooting section of the Options
- Attachment files which cannot be found are
indicated with a '?' symbol in the Attachments dialog.
Date: March 2, 2001
- Problem sending lines which begin with a dot
('.') has been fixed.
- The garbage characters which
occasionally appeared after the 'end sequence' no longer appear.
- An "invalid user email address" error is now handled
- The full product version number is now shown in
the 'splash' window on start-up.
Date: February 1, 2001
- Fixed modem detection problem present under
Date: January 31, 2001
- Better attachment handling for mixed file types.
Date: December 31, 2000
- Updated banner ad retrieval subsystem to version
5.1, as per Conducent's new specifications.
- Smarter determination of attachment file type for
encoding purposes. This fixes the PDF file attachment encoding
- Fixed Mailing List and Address edit problems which occurred
immediately after a database repair and compact.
Date: December 27, 2000
- Better visual indication of which letter templates
- The address in "To" was being sent when
"Reply To" was not blank.
Date: December 18, 2000
- Repaired occasional
problems sending attachments on Win95/98 systems. (Not an issue on
- Minor changes to the user-interface on various
Date: November 21, 2000
- Fixed crash problem in Subscription Manager when an incorrect POP
password is specified.
- Better error handling when connecting to the SMTP
- Choice of downloadable installation files: Full, Minimal, System
- Checked, and verified, that there are occasional
problems sending attachments on Win95/98 systems. (Not an issue on
Date: November 12, 2000
- Added support for firewalls.
- Better fit for 640x480 screen resolutions.
- New email delivery and RAS/DUN
- Reduced flicker when resizing the main
application window and various dialogs.
- A further reduction of the size of the help file.
- Added new sections and reorganized others in the
Date: October 6, 2000
- Fixed problem where incorrect attachments were
occasionally being sent.
Date: September 14, 2000
- Updated ad banner retrieval subsystem, as per
advertisement provider's new specifications.
Date: September 5, 2000
- Adjusted Caliban Mailer's color scheme to be
compatible with Windows settings, providing better conformity with
Microsoft's accessibility design guidelines.
Date: August 28, 2000
- Corrected the time stamp on outgoing messages to account for
daylight savings time.
- Reduced the file size of the help file.
- Tested with Windows Millennium Edition.
Date: August 21, 2000
- The Outbox continued to show sent messages even though the Workspace option
was set to move sent items to the Sent Items page.
- Deleted items from the Address page and Letter Template page now stay
- Keyword substitution errors fixed.
- The calendar icon in the Quick Mailing dialog now moves with the dialog.
- Outgoing messages are now sent with a priority of "normal".
- Installs to a
destination other than the default directory, as selected by the user.
Date: June 17, 2000
- A Subscription Manager for automatic addition and
removal of email addresses. With this feature, Caliban Mailer will
process Subscribe/Add and Unsubscribe/Remove requests.
- More keywords for automatic text substitutions.
- A "wizard" to help configure Caliban
Mailer at start-up.
- Scheduled email deliveries, including an
interface with the Microsoft Task Scheduler.
- Ability to handle over one million email
- Improvements to the user interface and on-line
- Caliban Mailer will operate in one of two modes,
registered and sponsored (unregistered). Sponsored-mode Caliban
Mailer is free, fully functional and displays advertisements. Conducent
Technologies Inc. is providing the technology which integrates
advertisements into the application. The registered product will not display ads.
Date: June 10, 1998
- First general, worldwide release!
- Word wrap for outgoing messages.
- Improved online help.
- More keywords for automatic text
substitutions. To avoid confusion with the new keywords, the previously
supported keywords %NAME% and %ADDR% have been replaced with %TONAME% and %TOADDR%,